2018 Fall Trimester

About the Master of Health Science in Applied Clinical Nutrition

Our master’s degree and certification programs are designed for providers from all disciplines who want to help their patients and clients maintain good health – and prevent and manage nutrition-related chronic disease. Students will gain the knowledge and skills to be able to assess and offer nutritional advice as allowed within their discipline’s scope of practice.

Admission Information

Northwestern admits women and men of good character who are qualified by previous education and experience. Enrolling an academically qualified, diverse student body is essential to the Northwestern’s mission. Applicants are considered for admission to Northwestern’s College of Health and Wellness through an open enrollment process.

Application Procedure

A complete application for admission to the College of Health and Wellness must include:

  1. $50 non-refundable application fee
  2. The application form filled out completely
  3. The Immunization Record filled out completely
  4. Official High School Transcript or GED transcript
  5. Official College Transcripts Application forms can be found online at: www.nwhealth.edu. Admission to the College of Health and Wellness is open enrollment. Students who follow the application procedure, submit all necessary documents to complete their admissions application file and meet the qualifications deemed necessary by Northwestern are admitted and can register for courses.


As a student, you must also possess the following abilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, for completion of undergraduate courses:

  • Ability to perform in all laboratory and classroom settings without posing a threat to herself/ himself, to the safety and well-being of fellow students;
  • Ability to work cohesively and harmoniously in a team of two or more students in the performance of required classroom and laboratory activities;
  • Ability to see and hear, with or without reasonable accommodation, in order to fulfill classroom and laboratory requirements.

Qualified persons with disabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, must be able to pass oral, written and practical examinations, and meet all of the classroom and laboratory requirements of Northwestern.

It is in the best interests of both the student and Northwestern to assess the degree of limitation caused by disability. However, Northwestern will make the final determination of whether or not an individual meets all qualifications for study at Northwestern. Additionally, questions regarding qualifications or accommodations should be directed to the Office of Student Affairs.

Northwestern will deny admission to applicants who have been convicted of a misdemeanor of a violent or sexual nature or any felony. The University therefore reserves the right to conduct a criminal background check on applicants or on any enrolled student at any time in the program.

Minnesota Immunization Requirement

All students born in 1957 or later must comply with the Minnesota State College Immunization Law (Minn. Stat. 135A.14). An admitted student must show proof of DPT immunization within the past 10 years, as well as measles, mumps and rubella immunization after his/her first birthday. However, exemptions are permitted for philosophical or medical reasons.

Responsibility of Applicant

It is the responsibility of the applicant to be aware of the entrance requirements and ensure that those requirements are met prior to enrollment. If Northwestern determines at any time that requirements are not met in full, the student will not be allowed to enroll or to continue enrollment at Northwestern.

Transfer Credit Policy:

The College of Health and Wellness will consider requests for transfer credit to be applied to the Baccalaureate degree programs based on the following criteria:

  • An official transcript from a regionally accredited institution must accompany any request for transfer credit.
  • The course(s) completed at the other institution must have similar objectives and be of similar content and length as the course(s) being substituted at the College of Undergraduate Studies. A course catalog and/or syllabus may be required to demonstrate course content.
  • Students must have earned a “C” or better for foundational course requirements and major requirements to be considered for transfer. Other courses may be accepted with credit earned.
  • A maximum of 90 semester credits will be transferred per student.
  • The College of Health and Wellness reserves the right to offer transfer credit to students who demonstrate proficiency in course material based on submission of a portfolio demonstrating competency in the objectives of the course.
  • The final decision regarding transfer credit rests with the Dean of the College.
  • Communications, Social Science and Humanities General Education credits will be considered for transfer provided the course is from the same curriculum area and is truly general education in nature. Because not all courses that might address a competency are general education, courses will not be included from: business, health/physical education, computer science, field experience, career orientation, or, in general, any occupational courses or programs.
  • A maximum of 16 semester credits of technical courses may be accepted toward bachelor degree programs at Northwestern.
  • Credits may not be transferred toward the 12-credit Health Professions Core requirement.
  • A maximum of 20 credits combined will be accepted from the CLEP and/or AP program combined.
  • Transfer credit toward the Major Requirement must have been completed within the last five (5) years. Other categories do not have a time restriction.
  • The College of Health and Wellness honors some military transfer credits. This includes military courses, including basic training, as well as other formal training. Military course completions reviewed by the American Council on Education (ACE) are eligible for specific degree requirement course transfer and general elective credits. Portions of the (ACE) transfer recommendations from the soldier’s or sailor’s Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) that directly matches one of the College degree requirements may be accepted for credit. These will be reviewed on an individual basis. MOS will not be accepted toward general unclassified elective credit. Only credits earned through military experience and registered through the American Council on Education will be evaluated for possible transfer credit.